Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Bands of Wilmington

Am I the only one that is transported back to a specific place or maybe time when they hear certain songs or music?

Living in Wilmington was some of the best times of my life, but it wasn't just the time...its was the place. There is just something laid back and peaceful about that city. The best way to describe it is the feeling of listening to Jack Johnson, Colbie Caillat, John Mayer and other bands of the like. The mood in Wilmington is reflective, relaxed and carefree as if possibilities or any imaginable outcome were possible. Just like listening to those bands that carry only simplicity, even there instruments and sounds are elemental, in Wilmington there doesn't seem to be any specific demographics in that city accept for honest, or maybe just happy. Its probably just the salt on the balmy wind always blowing across the city, coming off the ocean, but the feeling when you drive in is immediately relaxation. You can just drop pretensions and stress when I40 ends and College Drive begins. It feels like coming back to a home you've never known. Every time I return, it feels like I belong there somehow and I always have.

Maybe that is why God had me move, because after too long, I would never have left. I hope that my journey takes me back there one day...maybe for good. In the mean time, its Jack, John and Colbie to keep me from missing home.

No comments: